19.11.12

17 going on adulthood

"We used to say we won’t get olderIt’ll be alrightWe wait to change and then it’s over,But it’ll be alrightAll those years we used to knowAll those dreams won’t go"
"We’ve gotten strange we’ve gotten olderIt’ll be alrightI miss the days when we were soberBut it’ll be alrightAll those yearsWe used to knowAll those dreams won’t go"



This song is completely applicable to my life in every way, as a girlfriend, as a daughter, as a friend, as a student, as an acquaintance, as a human being. This song makes me very emotional.

I've spent a lot of my high school career, especially now, looking back on my past, on who I used to be. Looking at, and analyzing my baggage and my yesterdays as if it were all some negative weight that was holding me down; as if it had changed me into a different person today.

Sometimes, as a child, as a teen, as a young adult, as an adult and beyond, you have to look in the mirror and really face yourself. Take off your makeup, let your hair down, cry a little and look at yourself. Not your reflection, not who you want to see staring back at you, not who you hope to see staring back at you. The real you.

Thank yourself for getting you where you are standing right now.
Appreciate all of the hard work you have done day after day after day, and will continue to do, its there for a good reason.
Recognize that every single day you change, you grow, you learn, you test the waters, you fuck up, you fuck up again, you cry, you laugh, you scream in rage for no reason, you get wasted and swear off alcohol and then do it all over again the next night.
Realize that you will be forever changing, forever growing, forever learning, and love that about yourself. Don't let anyone ever tell you to change, tell you to be different, tell you to be someone that they used to know. You are you and you know what you're doing even when it feels like you don't.



On a side note, this song fucking rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment